My College:
Starting College Bilingual Content

Where to find what, on campus and online


There are so many different offices and departments on campus that provide services and support to students that it can be confusing! When you have a question, how do you know who to call or where to look on the website? Here is an overview.

How do we pay for things?

Typically after the first semester, tuition statements are not mailed home. Bills (and financial aid updates and renewal information) are usually emailed to students as well as being available in the online student account. At some schools, students can permit their parents to create their own login for the purpose of viewing the bill and other financial information.

Nowadays students use their ID cards to enter residence halls, access the meal plan, check out books and make photocopies at the library, do laundry, get into the rec center, and more. Parents can add money to student cards — learn how on the website.

Bursar’s Office | Student Accounts | Financial Aid | Student ID Card

Social opportunities, housing concerns, disciplinary proceedings, special communities

Student Life may encompass on-campus housing and dining, cultural groups, campus events, sports and recreation, student government, and the deans who oversee disciplinary situations. It may also house services for special communities such as veterans, students with disabilities, first-generation students and international students. If your student is trying to get involved, needs social support, or has a concern regarding their living situation they probably want to contact:

Student Affairs | Student Life | Residential Life | Student Government Association | Dean of Students Office

Course registration, academic advising and support, study abroad

The Registrar handles course registration and student records. (Learn more about the privacy of student health and academic records by clicking here.) Students typically meet each semester with an academic advisor to plan a course of study, talk about possible majors, and discuss how study abroad might fit in. Ask your student the name of their advisor, and find out how that relationship is developing.

Many campuses have a writing center with tutoring resources and academic success workshops; individual academic departments offer their own study groups and review sessions.

Registrar | Academic Success and Advising | Office of First Year Experience | Writing Center | Study Abroad | Global Education

Career counseling, campus jobs, volunteering

Students can meet with career counselors or just drop by the Career Center to learn about resources and opportunities. Student Employment is a clearinghouse for jobs both on and off campus. Most schools offer plentiful employment and volunteering opportunities and though work-study students may receive hiring priority, students often don’t need to receive financial aid to apply.

Career Services | Student Employment | Center for Community Engagement

Health care, mental health issues, safety, crime prevention

Colleges offer a wide range of health and counseling services. If your student is on the campus health plan, look it over together to see what’s covered and what isn’t. Many services are free — your student should take advantage of them.

The campus police department works alongside the town/city force to maintain a safe campus environment. The Title IX coordinator oversees the school’s policies around sexual assault prevention and resources for victims.

Health and Wellness | Counseling Center | Campus Police | Public Safety | Title IX Coordinator | Equity and Compliance
With any question or concern, it is always a safe bet to call the Parent and Family Program office. Staff will be happy to help or will direct you to the appropriate department.
CollegiateParent supports you on your own personal journey during your student's college years. We answer questions, share stories and connect you to life on campus. Reach out to us at any time!
Notify of
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Marcia BarisSanders
Marcia BarisSanders
1 year ago

How do you access student employment? My son has been looking for a job on Handshake and around campus since the beginning of the year and has been unsuccessful.Also, do you sign up for the campus health plan? I don't know if my son has it or not.

Kelsey Gast
1 year ago

Hi Marcia,

Thanks so much for reaching out. Every school is different with their student employment and campus health care services, so it will be best to contact your student's university directly. Try looking through their website to find the correct department and contact information to ask these questions. In the meantime, encourage your son to continue to apply and network as much as he can. He can also ask his professors or advisor about who to contact to get help.

  • Holiday Gift Guide Ipad Phone

    Our holiday shopping list is full of awesome ideas that are on trend with what students desire this gift-giving season.

    Click Here to Download

  • Find Your University

    Don't Miss Out!

    Get engaging stories and helpful information all year long. Join our college parent newsletter!

    Subscribe Today