Move-In Day Tips
Freshman Move-In Day is Friday, August 17th starting at 8 a.m. Please consider the following tips as you make plans for Move-In Day. All other students may move-in beginning Saturday, August 18th.
- Follow all traffic directions. UM Police and staff are on hand to help make traffic flow smoothly.
- No need to arrive before 8 a.m. You will have plenty of time to get things settled, and you won’t be allowed to start the process until 8.
- Have all of your student’s belongings in boxes or bags labeled with his/her name and room number. Volunteers will be on hand to help you carry the items to your student’s new room.
- Go directly to your student’s assigned hall. Should your student want to change rooms, buildings or roommates, have your student discuss room changes with his/her RA.
- Once you have unloaded your belongings, please move your vehicle to a designated parking spot immediately! Other folks also need to unload their items.
- Smile in the hallway! These are your student’s classmates, roommates and soon-to-be friends.
Items to bring with you
- Mattress cover (standard size twin)
- Sheets, pillows & pillow cases (standard twin size)
- Towels, washcloths, toiletries (soap, shampoo, etc.)
- Shower curtain (Brooke, Lund, Ramsay, New Hall)
- Waste basket
- Alarm clock
- Laundry bag/basket
- Laundry detergent/dryer sheets
Other items you might find useful
- Power strips /surge protectors (Note: extension cords are not allowed)
- Personal computer
- Refrigerator (Note: must be small personal fridge. $15 per semester ($5 summer term) energy surcharge for each fridge)
- Curtains – Follow link for more information about window number/sizes: http://www.montevallo.edu/campus-life/housing/housing-checklist/
- Coffee maker
- Ironing board & iron
- Study lamp
- Blow dryer/curling iron
- Throw rugs
- Water filter pitcher
- Only loft beds rented from Collegiate Bed Loft (www.cblorder.com) are allowed. CBL will set up the loft prior to move-in for the fall term and will remove the loft after you move out. The University assumes no liability for injury or damage due to lofts.
Items which are NOT allowed
- Electrical heating appliances such as space heaters, hot plates, electric blankets, toasters, or heating pads ( no appliances with open coils or flames)
- Motorized vehicles (including but not limited to motorcycles, motor scooters, Hoverboards, self-balancing scooter boards, two-wheeled scooters, Segway, carts, etc.) may not be operated, charged or stored inside any of the residence halls (including the court yard or balcony areas of Peck Hall). nternal combustion engines are also not permitted inside or adjacent to the building.
- Microwave ovens (except as part of a micro-fridge unit)
- Pets (except fish: 10 gallon tank limit)
- Any type of extension cord
- Sun lamps
Note: Health and safety inspections will be conducted once a month. Violators will face disciplinary action.