Center for Academic Success
While we are only a few short weeks into the fall semester you have likely heard about your students’ course load, the reading, the papers and the tests; to ensure your student has a smooth and successful academic transition the University of Alabama’s Center for Academic Success provides programs and services designed to help students:
- Succeed in University of Alabama courses
- Improve study techniques
- Improve reading proficiencies
- Prepare for professional school and graduate school entrance examinations.
The Learning Resource Center
- The Learning Resource Lab provides students with access to materials and resources. Computer programs and other digitized media are available to students, as well as review materials for students preparing to take graduate and professional school entrance exams.
- Reading and Study Skills Workshops are offered to help students improve and build skill sets they need to be academically successful. Staff can also provide a study skills assessment to students on an individual basis.
- Study Skill Courses (New 122 and BEP 110) offer students the opportunity to enhance their study skills and strengthen learning strategies and skills.
- Freshman Compass Course (BCE 101) Designed to help students make a successful transition to the University, BCE 101 helps students explore and become a member of their new academic community.
Tutorial Services and Supplemental Instruction
- Review and Help Sessions are available to students for a variety of math, chemistry, and business courses. These sessions are available for students to drop – in to ask questions and seek assistance.
- Supplemental Instruction Sessions are facilitated by peer leaders. These sessions offer students the opportunity to integrate study strategies with specific course content.
- Small Group Tutorial Appointments are available to students in select courses. Sessions are peer led and are structured to give students more individual attention.
Academic Support Programs
- Student Support Services Trio Program: Designed to assist first generation college students; students with limited incomes and/or students with disabilities; the program provides individualized support services to help increase student persistence and graduation as well as help students grow personally, academically, and professionally. To learn more about the program and to apply online, go to sss.ua.edu
- Academic Coaching: These one-on-one appointments help students evaluate their success, establish goals, and create plans to help them improve their academic performance.
For more information on programs and services at the Center for Academic Success visit us online at www.ctl.ua.edu
University of Alabama Page