Apartment hunting tips for UCF
Whether you’re an experienced student looking to leave dormitory life behind or a freshman venturing out on your own for the first time, the apartment hunting process can be quite intimidating. However, with the right information and tools at your disposal, you’ll be well on your way to signing a lease on your dream UCF apartment in no time!
Before hitting the ground running, you’ll want to take a moment to assess your monthly budget and identify which apartment features are most important to you. Thanks to Orlando’s diverse student population, you’ll find a wealth of student-friendly apartments near the University of Central Florida with A+ amenities like roommate matching and individual leasing as well as wallet-friendly fully-furnished and utilities-included options.
5 tips for renting student apartments near UCF
- The early bird gets the worm: Don't delay! Apartments near UCF are consistently in a state of high demand and are notorious for selling out early. You’ll want to start your apartment search in October and begin attending tours for communities on your short list no later than January. Plan to sign a lease by March, as most apartments near the University of Central Florida campus will sell out between March and May, leaving latecomers with limited options. Don’t miss out on a great apartment waiting for a last-minute deal, as apartment communities in the UCF market don’t typically offer leasing specials.
- Set a healthy budget: In comparison to other student housing markets, apartments near UCF are fairly expensive. Due to the high demand for apartments in Orlando, especially those around the University, renters should consider what’s included in the rent when evaluating an apartment’s price. At first glance apartment A may seem like the better deal, but if you have to pay for parking each month it may cost more than apartment B which includes parking in the monthly rent.
- Location, location, location: With thousands of students coming and going at any given moment, commuters are likely to face traffic delays and congestion when driving around the UCF area. Use Google Maps to see what your route to the campus may look like during peak travel times. Or, choose an apartment on the UCF Shuttle route to avoid honking horns, costly parking permits, overcrowded campus parking lots, and rising gas prices altogether. The Shuttle picks up at the front of over 20 UCF apartments and drops off at popular destinations on and off campus like the Student Union, Kings Plaza, and the library. Just flash the driver your student ID and enjoy the free ride to class!
- Look for roommate matching: As a student, every penny counts! Consider sharing your space with a couple of fellow Knights to split the costs and stay within budget. Choose a 3- or 4-bedroom apartment with a split floorplan and individual bathrooms to maintain your privacy. Many apartments near UCF offer roommate matching services and individual (by-the-bed) leases, with which you’re only held responsible for your portion of the apartment. Share your space with confidence, knowing you’re protected in the event your roommate causes damages or is unable to pay rent.
- Widen the search: If apartments near UCF begin to sell out, don’t panic! There are a wide-variety of student-housing options in Orlando, including apartments near Full Sail in the Winter Park area – a short 15-minute drive from the University of Central Florida campus. This area, similar to UCF, is home to a big college population and a wealth of student-friendly apartments.