Have you begun planning your trip to The University of Oklahoma for Commencement? Here are some things to remember as you make plans.
Convocations and Receptions
What is the difference between Commencement and College Convocations? Commencement is the ceremony where the degrees are officially conferred. It is when all of this academic year’s graduates and their loved ones celebrate the culmination of their time at OU. Doctoral degree candidates will be recognized at this time.
At the College Convocations, graduates will be recognized. Candidates’ names will be announced, they will have their picture taken, and they will be presented with a diploma cover by their college dean.
To have the complete graduation experience, graduates are expected to attend both Commencement and their Convocation!
7 p.m. | Friday, May 11, 2018
The Gaylord Family-Oklahoma Memorial Stadium
University-Wide Commencement Ceremony
Commencement, the University-wide graduation ceremony, is held at the end of the spring semester to celebrate summer, December and May graduates. Degrees are officially conferred at Commencement. Filled with pageantry, this ceremony includes an address from OU President David Boren and the Commencement speaker. Doctoral degree candidates are recognized individually during the ceremony and undergraduate and master’s candidates are recognized as a group. The ceremony concludes with a gigantic fireworks display.
We hope you will join us for Commencement 2018!
Please visit the Commencement website to:
- Learn about the history and traditions behind one of OU’s most important events
- See complete schedule and timeline for the Commencement ceremony.
Learn more about Commencement speakers and programs
- Find out how to receive a program containing the names of OU graduates, honorary degree recipients and more.
- Get details on convenient places to park, how to ride the shuttle and other helpful transportation hints.
- Find information about where guests and graduates will be seated during the Commencement ceremony and see maps of The Gaylord Family-Oklahoma Memorial Stadium, Brooks Mall and Lloyd Noble Center.
- Find out about services available to guests and graduates with accessibility concerns.
See Security Information, including a list of prohibited items and the rules for bag checks at Commencement.
- Get details about the inclement weather plan.
Find out how to livestream Commencement so you can celebrate with us from anywhere in the world! Tune in to On Demand and you won’t miss a minute of the action.
- Celebrate your graduate and their family with a floral bouquet or lei.
Phone: (405) 325-0841
Fax: (405) 325-2768